Update On Links

March 18, 2013 - I'm now using various file sites with varying success. With over 200 albums listed here, obviously I cannot upload everything at once. So if you're dying to hear something, please post a comment on that particular post and I will move it up in the priority queue. Enjoy!

****
Any posts taken down as a result of the sniveling coward will be re-upped. Check the link below for where to find them in the event that this site is unable to repost them. Don't forget to bookmark http://whereismrvolstead.blogspot.com/ in the event that the internet terrorists shut this page down.

03 January 2009

Anytime, Any Day, Anywhere


A nice collection of some of the leading male singers from the late 1920s into the 1940s. The packaging for this series was very nice, the booklet included a brief history of the Art Deco style as well as matrix numbers and recording dates for each of the tracks. For the sole tune by Lew Bray, the authors ask "Does anybody out there know anything about this Texas vocalist?" The second disc includes three tunes by Chick Bullock including a very nice version of Anytime, Any Day, Anywhere recorded by the ARC house band that included both Dorsey brothers and Joe Venuti for that session. Also, my favorite version of A Hundred Years From Today by Jack Teagarden. Enjoy. + +

Tracks

Disc 1

1. Deep Elm - Willard Robison
2. Devil Is Afraid of Music - Willard Robison
3. Harlem Blues - Willard Robison
4. Did You Ever See a Dream Walking? - Gene Austin
5. Everything I Have Is Yours - Gene Austin
6. There Was Nothing Else to Do - Seger Ellis
7. Shine on Harvest Moon - Seger Ellis
8. Why Do You Suppose? - Smith Ballew
9. Miss You - Smith Ballew
10. (You're Always Sure of) My Love for You - Smith Ballew
11. To Whom It May Concern - Smith Ballew
12. We Can't Use Each Other Anymore - Lew Bray
13. How Long Will It Last? - Bing Crosby
14. Cabin in the Cotton - Bing Crosby
15. Got the South in My Soul - Harlan Lattimore
16. How Do You Do It? - Harlan Lattimore
17. Let's Pretend There's a Moon - Russ Columbo
18. I See Two Lovers - Russ Columbo
19. I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me - Red McKenzie
20. Georgia on My Mind - Red McKenzie
21. Dream Sweetheart - Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards
22. Great Big Bunch of You - Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards
23. All of a Sudden - Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards
24. Crazy People - Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards

Disc 2


1. Night Owl - Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards
2. It's Only a Paper Moon - Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards
3. Six Women (Me & Henry the Eighth) - Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards
4. I Just Couldn't Take It, Baby - Cliff "Ukelele Ike" Edwards
5. Object of My Affection - Pinky Tomlin
6. Porter's Love Song to a Chambermaid - Pinky Tomlin
7. He's a Curbstone Cutie (They Call Him Jelly-Bean) - Pinky Tomlin
8. Anytime, Anyday, Anywhere - Chick Bullock
9. Ah! But I've Learned - Chick Bullock
10. Junk Man - Chick Bullock
11. Love Me - Jack Teagarden
12. Blue River - Jack Teagarden
13. Hundred Years from Today - Jack Teagarden
14. Stars Fell on Alabama - Jack Teagarden
15. You're a Builder Upper - Harold Arlen
16. Moon over Miami - Buddy Clark
17. Midnight Blue - Buddy Clark
18. Old Fashioned Love - Eddy Howard
19. Stardust - Eddy Howard
20. Exactly Like You - Eddy Howard
21. Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams (And Dream Your Troubles Away) - Eddy Howard
22. Melancholy Mood - Frank Sinatra
23. My Buddy - Frank Sinatra
24. My Silent Love - Dick Haymes
25. You've Changed - Dick Haymes

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eight tracks by Ukelele Ike!

Whoop!

Chester Proudfoot said...

So many that I never bothered to pick up a collection of his music. Definitely one of the better 'various artists' sets that I've found.

drizzz said...

I'm surprised Scrappy Lambert hasn't surfaced on your site yet. He sang on guzillions of records, I actually think of Chick Bullock (Never Mind the Sex Pistols- Here Comes Chick!)as the "other Scrappy Lambert" they were both pretty ubiquitous. You have a great site, keep up the good work!

Chester Proudfoot said...

I'm sure I have some Scrappy somewhere, probably on 78s though which I just haven't had time to get to digitizing yet.

Terrible Terry said...

In one of those bizzare coincidences that we sometimes run into, I had just listened to this most excellent compillation and "discovered" Pinky Tomlin, whose name was unfamiliar to me. That very Evening I was listening to Groucho Marx's "You bet your life" program from 8/17/1959 and who should make a guest appearance, but Pinky Tomlin! He even sings his famous "Object of my Affection."
You can hear it yourself at Tennessee Bills site: http://tennesseebillsotr.com/otr/You%20Bet%20Your%20Life/

Chester Proudfoot said...

Cool! Thanks, Terry. I know of Tennessee Bill's site but hadn't gotten to the YBYL shows. I'll check out the show.

Anonymous said...

Could you re-up this one?

Chester Proudfoot said...

These links have been updated.