Update On Links

March 18, 2013 - I'm now using various file sites with varying success. With over 200 albums listed here, obviously I cannot upload everything at once. So if you're dying to hear something, please post a comment on that particular post and I will move it up in the priority queue. Enjoy!

****
Any posts taken down as a result of the sniveling coward will be re-upped. Check the link below for where to find them in the event that this site is unable to repost them. Don't forget to bookmark http://whereismrvolstead.blogspot.com/ in the event that the internet terrorists shut this page down.

11 March 2009

St. James Infirmary (Chick Bullock Vol. 1)

This is my first batch of Chick Bullock tunes, direct from my own collection of 78s. I decided to do this chronologically per recording dates, and since I have too many sides from 1930 to fit on one cd I will post the rest as Volume 2 as soon as I can edit all the tags. These were recorded as uncompressed .wav files, edited, and then converted to .mp3 at 320br to avoid losing any further quality. I use Polderbits to digitize these and had to use filters for noise, crackle and click where necessary (most of them). Some of the sides are in better condition, so the filters were reduced accordingly. I did not adjust the eq.

Session musicians are listed in the tags (as known), and they include the Dorsey brothers, Joe Venuti and Roy Smeck on several. St. James Infirmary is one of my favorite Bullock records and features some of the best. The tune is also the oldest Bullock record I have (so far) and is from his fourth recording session February 14, 1930, the first being just two weeks prior on January 31, 1930 when his recording of the same tune was rejected. I've also included the recording dates in each tag. Most of the tunes here are less jazz and more crooning, and as far as I know none of them have appeared yet on a cd. Why, I have no idea. Someone more qualified should put out a complete Chick Bullock series, if you ask me.

This being my first batch of digitized 78s, I would like to know what others think of the quality. So please comment! And Enjoy. +

Tracks (in order of recording date)

1. St. James Infirmary
2. Alcoholic Ward Blues
3. Should I
4. Lazy Lou'siana Moon
5. The One I love just can't be bothered with me
6. A cottage for sale
7. Laughing My troubles away
8. I'm in the market for you
9. If I had a Girl Like you
10. You brought a new kind of love to me
11. Ten Cents a dance
12. Swingin' in a Hammock
13. What's the use
14. Just a little closer
15. I still get a thrill

13 comments:

Luis said...

Thank you for Chick Bullock. Great selection. Just a little correction: Your jpg file is a Clifford label, not Angelus as noted. All the best

Chester Proudfoot said...

Thanks, my mistake. I was sure I changed that on the file info, but the side is indeed from the Clifford record and not Angelus.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to listening to these, Chester. Thanks for going to so much effort.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed hearing an entire album's worth of Chick Bullock vocals.

As for the quality, the tracks are a bit noisy, but I always listen to the music and don't focus on the flaws. Please produce another volume when you can.

Your site is one of my favourites. Thank you.

Paul in Canada

Chester Proudfoot said...

Thanks for feedback Paul! I have been busy recording my records and plan to post all of them since most of the songs are simply unavailable elsewhere. I plan to insert cleaner cd versions where possible.

I was all set to post the second volume of 1930 but just won a very rare copy of a tune that I'll add as soon as it arrives. I can't believe I found it, and at such a bargain!

I wish I could do more about the noise, but until I find cleaner copies it's all I have. I don't want to do too much with the sound editing as the fidelity can suffer that way as well.

Anonymous said...

I like the tunes and don't mind the noise. When you play 78s you come to expect it. Thank you for your efforts and great shares. JohnnyUSA

Chester Proudfoot said...

Thanks, JohnnyUSA. Glad you enjoy the music.

Unknown said...

Wow! This is a great compilation! Thank you!

Chester Proudfoot said...

Glad you like it. I just received my new turntable today, so there will be many more rare Chick Bullock sides and more coming very soon.

Chester Proudfoot said...

This link has been updated.

Nikolai said...

thanks a lot!!

Chester Proudfoot said...

You're welcome!

Alberto said...

Excelent collection. You've done a very good job. Thanks once again.